I am a little late in posting this blog, but the week of Thanksgiving was a little nuts for us. We had family in town then my youngest got really sick and needed to be hospitalized for 3 days. Not the Thanksgiving we envisioned!
Nonetheless, I wanted to post these for this time of year when every week seemed to have a lot going on! They are inspired and based off of Angela Liddon’s Present Glow Bars from her OH SHE GLOWS COOKBOOK. I wrap them individually and keep them in a container in the freezer so we can grab one when we need one. They are filling, delicious and filled with nutrients to balance off some the less healthy holiday treats we may eat.
1½ cups gluten-free oats
1 cup puffed millet or rice cereal
½ cup almond flour (or additional oats to make nut-free)
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup non-dairy chocolate chips (our favorite Enjoy Life)
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp fine sea salt
½ cup brown rice syrup (see TIP below)
¼ cup almond or sunflower butter (to make nut-free)
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, cereal, flour, seeds, chocolate chips, cinnamon and salt.
- Measure out the brown rice syrup and almond butter into a small bowl and microwave for 10-15 seconds or warm over medium heat in a small saucepan until it is liquidy and easy to pour. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Drizzle liquid mixture over the dry ingredients, coating the oat mix until it becomes sticky and harder to stir. Be sure to use a spatula to scrape out all of the syrup out of the pan or bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and using wet or lightly oiled hands, press the mixture firmly into the pan. If you have a pastry roller (or a glass cup) use to compact the mix and spread it out evenly and firmly in the pan.
- Place pan in freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Holding the edges of the parchment paper, lift the large bar out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Slice into 12-16 bars using a pizza cutter or large sharp knife. These keep best if wrapped individually and stored in fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for 1-2 months. If left at room temperature for a period of time, the bars will crumble a little. Best consumed right out of the fridge or freezer.
Before measure out the brown rice syrup, lightly oil the half-cup measure with coconut oil or oil spray. This will prevent the syrup from sticking and it will slide right out of the measuring cup.